Supplemental Security(SSI) and General Assistance(GA) Information for Immigrants

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Information for Immigrants

Go Here for Information in Other languages

What is Supplemental Security Income?

Supplemental Security Income, called SSI, gives you cash to pay for basic needs like food, clothing, and shelter. Sometimes people call this program Social Security.

Can I get SSI?

You can get SSI if you have low income AND:

  • You are 65 years old or older;
  • You are blind;or
  • You have a disability. (Having a "disability" means you have a serious physical or mental health problem and cannot work full-time for at least 12 months)

If you are in the United States legally, you can get SSI if you are elderly or disabled and have low income.

What is General Assistance?

General Assistance, called GA, comes from towns and cities, like Portland and Lewiston. GA helps to pay for housing costs and other basic needs.

Can I get General Assistance?

You may be able to get General Assistance if you do not have enough money to meet your basic needs and you meet the program rules.

If you are in the United States legally, and have low income and meet the other program rules, you can get General Assistance.

For questions about these programs contact:
Maine Equal Justice Partners
207-626-7058 or toll-free at 1-866-626-7059

Updated December 2011