Each legislative session brings a new opportunity to improve Maine’s laws and policies to benefit all Mainers. The Legislature makes important decisions that affect every family in Maine. Maine Equal Justice is at the State House, day in and day out, advocating for fair public policies that can help the thousands of Mainers living close to the edge gain a firmer footing on a path to economic security.
2015 Legislative Session
Get the facts on so-called “welfare reform” proposals that would push people into deeper poverty:
- An upfront work search in the TANF program will actually make it harder for parents to get and sustain gainful employment.
- Banning the purchase of certain products with EBT cards is nearly impossible to administer effectively and has little impact onthe “misuse” of benefits.
- Prohibiting the use of EBT cards out of state is not only unconstitutional, it also unfairly targets people with limited incomes.
- Denying access to General Assistance to parents who have timed off of the TANF program will make hard times much harder for the children in these families.
- A ban on cash withdrawals for EBT card holders is not reform. It would result in unintended consequences that punish people for falling on hard economic times.
Tools for Advocacy